Friday, April 26, 2013

Learning the Value of life through Birds

                                                                   Source: google.com via CraveCute on Pinterest


I learned a good lesson on the value of life this past couple of weeks. We've had a birds living on our porch roof for the past few years. It gets pretty noisy up there some times, which drives my dog Bandit crazy sometimes.  Occasionally we think someone is knocking on the front door and it's the birds knocking on the steel roof.  It gets annoying at times, but we don't try to keep them away.

A couple of weeks ago I found a dead bird lying on the gravel drive way. I asked my daughter to remove the bird. I just cannot handle dead animals. I get really nauseous when i try to pick them up.  A couple days went by and my daughters didn't pick up the bird. Finally I held my breath and grabbed the shovel and garbage to throw the bird away.  I picked the bird up and tossed it in the trash.

Right after I picked up the bird I felt extremely guilty for tossing the bird away. Thoughts ran through my head about how mortified I was when my ex-stepfather threw their cat away in the garbage can. I got to thinking about the fact that I was no different than my ex-stepfather who tossed their family pet away.  I wouldn't do that to Mason when he died last May.

I had just started Overcome the Lie forty day challenge, so I was spending a lot of time praying and reading my Bible.  I started thinking about the Bible verse Genesis 6:19 "You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep alive with you."   If God loved the animals enough to save them from the flood why am I not valuing them as much as he did? At that point, I decided that throwing any creatures in the trash wasn't the best solution for the dead bird.  I decided I need to be more respectful to all creatures wild or domestic.

A couple of days later I had a chance to redeem myself sadly another bird was dead on the gravel drive way again! At that moment I did decide to bury the bird in the yard. It did take me a couple of days to do it because of nausea I felt.   I picked up the shovel again, dug a hole next to my shed and made a shallow grave for the bird then walked back over to the dead bird picking him or her up from the ground. I felt horrible inside only glancing at the poor bird thinking about the life he lost from dying. I took him or her over to the hole I dug and carefully laid the bird to rest. It was at that moment after asking God to care for the bird I realized how very precious life is.



A Royal Daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment